Current Watches and Warnings
South Carolina, Coastal Georgetown
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:24 PM EDT on August 29, 2016
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 30, 2016
... High rip current risk now in effect through Tuesday evening...
* location... Pender... New Hanover... Brunswick... Horry... and
Georgetown County beaches.
* Rip current risk... high.
* Surf height... 3 to 5 ft at the Pender and New Hanover County
beaches... around 3 feet at the Brunswick County beaches... and 3
to 4 feet at the Horry and Georgetown County beaches.
* Timing and tides... rip currents can be strongest a couple of
hours either side of low tide. Low tide will occur between 1230
and 130 am Tuesday and again between 1230 and 130 PM Tuesday
* Other hazards... weak to moderate north to south longshore current.
There is a high risk of rip currents. Life threatening rip currents
are likely in the surf zone.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties
and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards... beach patrol flags and
If you become caught in a rip current... Yell for help. Remain calm...
do not exhaust yourself and stay afloat while waiting for help. If
you have to swim out of a rip current... swim parallel to shore and
back toward the beach when possible. Do not attempt to swim directly
against a rip current as you will tire quickly.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Beach Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Hurricane Watch , High Surf Advisory , High Surf Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Watch
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Coastal Flood Watch
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Montana - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- New Jersey - Beach Hazard Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Tropical Storm Warning , Hurricane Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Watch
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- South Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wisconsin - Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning