Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Genesee
Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 1:34 AM EST on November 23, 2014
Expires 4:15 PM EST on November 24, 2014
124 am EST sun Nov 23 2014
The Flood Warning continues for
the Ellicott creek near Williamsville
* from late tonight until further notice.
* At 1 am Sunday the stage was 2.5 feet and steady.
* Flood stage is 8.0 feet.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* The river is forecast to rise above flood stage late tonight and
crest near 9.5 feet Monday morning.
* Impact... at 10.0 feet... moderate flood, extensive flooding in
Ellicott Creek Park and minor flooding in surrounding neighborhoods
in Tonawanda. Ub bike path flooded and closed. Aero drive, Holtz to
transit roads in Cheektowaga closed. Flooding around Bowmansville
fire Hall. Areas east of North Forest from Maple to French roads
subject to sewer backups.
Lat... Lon 4293 7875 4301 7889 4304 7889 4304 7875
4295 7865 4293 7865
... The Flood Warning remains in effect until 415 PM EST Monday for
Erie... northern Chautauqua... Wyoming... southern Genesee and
northwestern Cattaraugus counties...
At 120 am EST temperatures continue to remain well above freezing
with readings expected to remain in the low to mid 40s through the
rest of tonight.
Temperatures will steadily climb into the lower 50s on Sunday...
before reaching 60 on Monday. While rainfall will generally be a
quarter inch or less through Sunday night... significant snowmelt has
begun and will now continue through the remainder of the weekend. It
is this snowmelt that will ultimately cause the flooding concerns.
Core samples of the deep snowpack at the start of the weekend
indicated that as much as 5 to 6 inches of water was locked in
place... but as temperatures continue to climb... this water will be
released... and in some cases fairly rapidly. Since many storm drains
are snow clogged... many urban areas will likely be the first to
experience flooding with several feet of water possibly accumulating
on some stretches of Road. Residential basements will start to flood
during this time as well.
Area tributaries... particularly Buffalo Creek... Cazenovia creek...
Cayuga creek and Ellicott creek... will take a bit longer to
experience significant rises with the potential to reach at least
minor flood stage Sunday night and Monday.
A Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or has been reported.
Stream rises will be slow and flash flooding is not expected.
However... all interested parties should take necessary precautions
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the
roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross
safely. Move to higher ground.
Lat... Lon 4242 7946 4250 7935 4256 7916 4271 7904
4271 7899 4276 7889 4279 7886 4290 7891
4301 7849 4302 7795 4253 7807 4253 7848
4244 7877 4230 7968
High Wind Watch
Statement as of 11:32 PM EST on November 22, 2014
... High wind watch remains in effect from Monday morning through
* locations... Erie... Niagara... Orleans... Genesee... Wyoming and
* Timing... late Monday morning through midnight Monday night.
* Winds... southwest 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
* Impacts... winds of this magnitude could bring down some trees
and power lines resulting in scattered power outages. These
winds would also make difficult travel for high profile
vehicles. In addition... Holiday decorations could be damaged
and other loose outdoor items such as trash cans could be
A high wind watch means that the potential exists for strong
damaging winds to develop. These strong winds could bring down
trees and power lines as well as cause property damage. If a High
Wind Warning is issued... stay inside... and away from windows. Be
prepared for trees blocking roadways and power outages. Stay
tuned to weather radio or the other radio and TV stations for
further details or updates.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Lake Wind Advisory
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , High Wind Watch, Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Weather Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Tornado Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory
- Maryland - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , High Wind Watch
- New York - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , High Wind Watch , Winter Weather Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - High Wind Watch
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Tennessee - High Wind Watch
- Texas - Tornado Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Avalanche Warning , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - High Wind Watch , Record Report
- Washington - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Tornado Watch
- - Gale Watch