Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Lewis
Lake Effect Snow Warning
Statement as of 3:47 AM EST on December 12, 2013
Expires 1:00 PM EST on December 13, 2013
... Lake effect snow warning remains in effect from 10 am this
morning to 1 PM EST Friday...
* locations... Lewis and Jefferson counties. Steadiest snows will
fall across higher terrain and the Tug Hill... however some
accumulation is expected in Watertown on Thursday.
* Timing... late this morning through early Friday afternoon.
* Accumulations... 4 to 7 inches today... 6 to 12 inches tonight...
and 2 to 4 inches Friday... leading to storm totals of up to two
feet of fresh snow in the most persistent bands.
* Winds... west 10 to 20 mph.
* Visibilities... a few hundred feet at times in The Heart of the
* Impacts... travel will be very difficult at times... with snow
covered roads... areas of blowing and drifting snow... and very
poor visibility. Travel on Interstate 81 will be significantly
impacted. Travel will be nearly impossible at times.
In lake effect snow the weather can vary from locally heavy snow
in narrow bands to clear skies just a few miles away. If you will
be traveling across the region be prepared for rapid changes in
Road and visibility conditions.
If you lose power and plan on running a generator... make sure
that the generator is located outdoors and is properly
ventilated. Space heaters should also be properly ventilated and
used only if they are operating properly. Make sure snow does not
block exhausts and fresh air intakes for high efficiency furnaces
and water heaters.
Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite source of
weather information for the latest updates. Additional details
can also be found at www.Weather.Gov/Buffalo.
Report snow accumulation to the National Weather Service in
Buffalo by sending an email to bufstorm.Report@noaa.Gov... posting
to the NWS Buffalo facebook Page... or tweet... using the hashtag
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 10:23 PM EST on December 11, 2013
********************storm total snowfall********************
Location storm total time/date comments
... Chautauqua County...
Dunkirk 14.0 630 PM 12/11 social media
... Erie County...
Wales Center 26.0 550 PM 12/11 18 inches since 7am.
South Wales 26.0 500 PM 12/11 trained spotter
2 NE Boston 24.0 500 PM 12/11 cocorahs
Glenwood 24.0 700 PM 12/11 social media
... Lewis County...
Beaver Falls 7.5 830 PM 12/11 social media
... Oswego County...
Redfield 44.0 630 PM 12/11 social media
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning , Wind Chill Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Freeze Warning , Hard Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Wind Chill Advisory
- Indiana - Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Iowa - Wind Chill Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Wind Chill Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Wind Chill Advisory
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Statement , Wind Chill Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Wind Chill Advisory
- New Mexico - Special Statement
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Winter Weather Statement , Lake Effect Snow Watch , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Air Stagnation Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory, Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Wind Chill Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Wind Chill Advisory
- Washington - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Wind Chill Advisory
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Statement , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report