Current Watches and Warnings
Michigan, Van Buren
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Statement as of 2:55 PM CDT on August 02, 2015
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on August 02, 2015
The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a
* Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of
central and western lower Michigan
central and southern Wisconsin
* effective this Sunday afternoon and evening from 255 PM until
1000 PM CDT.
* Primary threats include...
widespread damaging winds likely with isolated significant gusts
to 80 mph possible
widespread large hail likely with isolated very large hail
events to 2.5 inches in diameter possible
a tornado or two possible
Summary... thunderstorms will intensify over Wisconsin this afternoon
and track rapidly east-southeastward across the watch area.
Parameters are favorable for bowing storms capable of damaging winds
and large hail. A few tornadoes are also possible.
The Severe Thunderstorm Watch area is approximately along and 75
statute miles north and south of a line from 25 miles southwest
of Camp Douglas Wisconsin to 30 miles northeast of Lansing
Michigan. For a complete depiction of the watch see the
associated watch outline update (wous64 kwns wou2).
Remember... a Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are
favorable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
and possible warnings. Severe thunderstorms can and occasionally
do produce tornadoes.
Other watch information... continue... ww 461...
Aviation... a few severe thunderstorms with hail surface and aloft
to 2.5 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind gusts to 70
knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean storm
motion vector 28035.
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:07 PM EDT on August 02, 2015
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on August 03, 2015
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Monday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions late tonight
and Sunday include... South Beach in South Haven... Grand Haven
State Park... Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... southwest winds 25 to 30 mph with
higher gusts possible. Waves will build to 3 to 6 feet with
locally higher waves likely.
A squall line is expected to move through the area this
evening. This will have the potential to bring very strong
winds and extremely dangerous conditions for a period this
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- California - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Coastal Flood Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Coastal Flood Advisory
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Advisory , Record Report
- South Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- - Small Craft Advisory