Current Watches and Warnings
Michigan, Van Buren
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 10:10 AM EDT on June 30, 2016
... Beach hazards statement in effect from late tonight through
The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has issued a beach
hazards statement... which is in effect from late tonight through
* High wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions on Friday include...
North Beach in South Haven...
Holland State Park...
Muskegon State Park...
Mears State Park in Pentwater...
Stearns Park in Ludington.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will become north/northwest
overnight tonight and increase to 15 to 25 mph. Waves will build
to 3 to 6 feet by daybreak Friday morning. Winds and waves will
continue through Friday... and diminish Friday evening. These
conditions will produce very dangerous currents... especially on
the north side of piers and breakwalls.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report