Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 8:53 PM EDT on July 22, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through late
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from Grand Haven to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions this evening
and Wednesday include...
Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon this evening...
on Wednesday... the high impact beaches will shift to the north
side of piers including Stearns Park in Ludington... Mears State
Park and Muskegon State Park.
* Overview/potential impacts... strong southerly winds of 15 to
30 mph and waves of 3 to 6 foot range are expected this
evening... with the highest waves located towards Ludington.
The south flow will result in strong longshore currents and
where they intercept piers... structural currents will form.
High wave action will make swimming dangerous. Winds will
swing around to the north tonight and Wednesday and large
waves will continue in the 3 to 6 foot range through
Wednesday. Large waves and dangerous swimming conditions are
ongoing at midday Tuesday and will continue through sunset on
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Special Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report