Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 4:37 PM CDT on September 25, 2016
... Record high temperature set at Evansville Indiana...
a record high temperature of 93 degrees was set at Evansville
Indiana... Sunday September 25th. This breaks the old record of 92
degrees... set in 1931.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 7:55 PM CDT on September 25, 2016
... Fall brings the risk of more tornadoes to our region...
Tornadoes have caused loss of life and much destruction in our
region during the fall season. Late September through October and
much of November typically bring more favorable conditions for
tornadoes and other severe thunderstorm events such as large hail
and damaging thunderstorm winds. This increase is driven by a more
dynamic atmosphere that occurs during the fall transition to
cooler temperatures. This transition period sometimes yields low
pressure systems and their associated frontal systems that can
provide an environment favorable for severe thunderstorms,
including tornadoes. Some Stark reminders of our fall tornado
*september 22-23, 2006: 10 tornadoes struck our region, including
a violent EF4 over Perry County, Missouri and Jackson County,
*October 18, 2007: 16 tornadoes pummeled our region, including an
EF3 tornado in Owensboro, Kentucky. Twenty-two people were
*October 31, 2013: a record October outbreak occurred with 19
tornadoes and 2 microbursts.
*November 6, 2005: an EF3 tornado developed near Smith Grove,
Kentucky before killing 25 people in the Evansville, Indiana
*November 15, 2005: an EF4 tornado struck the Madisonville,
Kentucky area, injuring 27, with the longest track Kentucky
tornado (ef3) in decades striking Marshall and adjacent
*November 17, 2013: a dozen tornadoes, including 8 in the
strong category, tore across our region, injuring dozens and
killing 3 in or near Brookport, Illinois.
*December 23, 2015: 9 tornadoes struck our region.
As a result, it is vital that you be prepared as we progress
through the fall tornado season and beyond. Each day this week,
the Kentucky weather preparedness committee (kwpc), consisting of
partners from the NWS, emergency management, transportation,
health and other sectors, will be providing information on a variety
of topics to ensure your safety. The daily topics will be:
-Monday, September 26 - "fall season overview"
-Tuesday, September 27 - "night time fall and winter tornadoes"
-Wednesday, September 28 - "receiving alerts: NOAA Weather Radio
and wireless emergency alert (wea) alerts"
-Thursday, September 29 - "your severe weather plan and kit"
-Friday, September 30 - "fall severe weather season recap"
To find information on the daily topics, see the following:
Fb.ME/kwpcwest on facebook.
- Alabama - Record Report
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Wind Advisory
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory, Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Frost Advisory
- Connecticut - Frost Advisory
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Frost Advisory
- Kentucky - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Massachusetts - Frost Advisory
- Minnesota - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory
- New York - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Flood Watch
- Wyoming - Record Report
- - Small Craft Advisory