Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 4:06 AM CDT on July 25, 2014
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on July 25, 2014
... A heat advisory remains in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to
8 PM CDT this evening...
A heat advisory remains in effect from 1 PM this afternoon to
8 PM CDT this evening.
* Temperatures... will range from 97 to 105 degrees across the area
* Heat indices... will climb into the 105 to 108 degree range.
* Impacts... those exposed to the extreme heat over a prolonged
period may be overcome by the heat and experience significant
A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is
expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity
will create conditions where heat illnesses are possible. Drink
plenty of fluids and stay in an air conditioned room if possible.
Stay out of the sun... and check up on relatives and neighbors.
Temperatures within vehicles can become lethal in a few minutes.
Never leave children or pets in vehicles. Remember to beat the
heat... check the backseat.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:00 AM CDT on July 25, 2014
... On this date in weather history...
In 1986... parts of South Dakota were walloped by one
'hail' of a severe thunderstorm. Golfball sized hail
struck the area... but the duration and resulting depths
were amazing. In north Rapid City... the hail accumulated
2 feet deep and areas near Huron were pelted by half
dollar sized hail for nearly an hour and a half! Huron
set an all time 24 hour rainfall record of 4.98 inches
for July... while areas just north of Huron were deluged
by around 10 inches of rain. In 1984... severe
thunderstorms raked central South Dakota with 70 to 85
mph winds. In Pierre... 13 planes and several hangars
were demolished at the Airport. In town... three
businesses and one home were unroofed.
In 1956... the Andrea doria sank in dense fog near the
Nantucket lightship after colliding with the Stockholm 45
miles off the Massachusetts coast. Fifty two people died
in the disaster.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Blowing Dust Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Maryland - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Heat Advisory
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- Nebraska - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory, Excessive Heat Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Vermont - Record Report
- Virginia - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning