Current Watches and Warnings
Indiana, La Porte
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 9:43 PM CDT on June 17, 2013
Expires 5:00 AM EDT on June 19, 2013
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from Tuesday
afternoon through late Tuesday night...
* high wave action and dangerous swimming conditions expected...
* strong rip currents expected...
* strong structural currents expected...
* overview/potential impacts... north winds of 15 to 25 mph will
cause 3 to 5 foot waves at LaPorte and Berrien County beaches
Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night... resulting in hazardous
Dangerous pounding waves and life-threatening rip currents are
expected at the beaches. People visiting the beaches should stay
out of the water.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you out lakeward.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out lakeward along the pier structure.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alabama - Flash Flood Watch
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Maryland - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virginia - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
Listen To WTIC WeatherWTIC’s Joe Furey updates the forecast for June 17, 2013
Tweets from WTIC listeners
View your local ocean forecast and tides in our Marine Report.
See the latest severe weather alerts from the National Weather Services, locally and nationally, in our Severe Weather Center.