Current Watches and Warnings
Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 9:30 PM CDT on September 24, 2016
Expires 12:15 PM EDT on September 25, 2016
1109 am CDT Sat Sep 24 2016
... Flood Warning now in effect until late Tuesday evening...
The Flood Warning continues for
the Iowa river near Rowan... or from Belmond... to Dows.
* Until late Tuesday evening.
* At 9:00 PM Saturday the stage was 14.4 feet... or 1.9 feet above
* Flood stage is 12.5 feet.
* Minor flooding is occurring and is forecast to continue.
* Forecast... the river reached a preliminary crest of 14.47 feet at
4:30 PM today. The river is now falling and will go below flood
stage late Tuesday evening.
* Impact... at 14.5 feet... 190th St. Just west of Reed Ave impassible.
Road covered by over 300 yards of water. Water over much of
Lat... Lon 4275 9367 4284 9368 4287 9358 4266 9346
4263 9352 4275 9367
The National Weather Service in Des Moines has extended the
* Flood Warning for...
Butler County in north central Iowa...
Wright County in north central Iowa...
northern Black Hawk County in northeastern Iowa...
Franklin County in north central Iowa...
Bremer County in northeastern Iowa...
* until 1115 am CDT Sunday.
* At 1105 am CDT... local law enforcement officials reported numerous
Road closures across the warned area. Additional Road closures
are expected this afternoon from ongoing flooding.
* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Waterloo... Cedar Falls... Waverly... Hampton... Clarion... Allison...
Eagle Grove... Belmond... Sumner... Parkersburg... Denver... Ackley...
Clarksville... Tripoli... Shell Rock... Sheffield... Greene...
Aplington... Big Wall Lake and Waterloo Municipal Airport.
Additional rainfall amounts of a half inch or more are possible in
the warned area tonight as additional thunderstorms are forecast
from this evening through Sunday morning. Locally heavy rainfall is
likely with stronger storms.
Turn around... don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams... country roads... farmland... and other low lying
Lat... Lon 4290 9397 4290 9349 4291 9208 4255 9208
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 9:28 PM CDT on September 24, 2016
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on September 25, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Sunday morning...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* portions of north central Iowa and northeast Iowa... including
the following areas... in north central Iowa... Butler... Cerro
Gordo... Franklin... Hancock... Winnebago... Worth and Wright. In
northeast Iowa... Bremer.
* Through Sunday morning
* heavy rainfall potential across the area combined with ongoing
conditions may lead to renewed flash flooding overnight. General
rainfall amounts of one half to one inch are expected however
areas with amounts in excess of 2 inches may occur. Small
streams and areas that already have significant ponding of water
may respond quickly to these rainfall amounts. Some locations
from central into southwest Iowa have recorded 1 to 1.5 inches
of rain with the storms this evening.
* At this time... the expected rainfall amounts are not
anticipated to have a significant impact on main Stem streams
that are currently receding.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action
should flash flood warnings be issued.
Statement as of 5:32 PM CDT on September 24, 2016
... Record high temperature set at Des Moines IA...
A record high temperature of 89 degrees was set at Des Moines IA
today. This breaks the old record of 88 set in 1984.
- Alabama - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Wind Advisory
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Wind Advisory, Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Record Report
- Indiana - Record Report
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Record Report
- Maine - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Massachusetts - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Frost Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning
- South Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement