Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Logan County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on October 20, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
18-23 in 2003... an extended warm spell resulted in 5 new temperature
records. The high temperature of 84 degrees on the 18th
equaled the record high for the date. High temperatures
of 86 degrees on the 19th... 83 degrees on the 21st... and 84
degrees on the 22nd were record highs for the dates. Low
temperature of 49 degrees on the 23rd was a record high
minimum for the date. Low temperatures during the period
were in the 40's and lower 50's.
19-20 in 1990... an early winter storm dumped heavy snow across
Metro Denver. Snowfall amounts ranged from 4 to 8 inches
in the foothills above 6500 feet elevation... 4 to 7 inches
in The Castle Rock area... and 2 to 5 inches across most of
Metro Denver and Boulder. Snowfall totaled 3.6 inches at
Stapleton International Airport where northwest winds
gusting to 48 mph kicked up some blowing dust shortly
after a cold frontal passage on the 19th. However...
temperatures were warm enough to keep most roadways wet
and slushy at lower elevations.
19-23 in 1906... heavy snowfall totaled 22.7 inches in the city over
the 5 days. Rain changed to snow on the evening of the
19th... and snow continued through the late afternoon of the
23rd. The heaviest amount of snowfall... 16.0 inches... fell
from 8:00 PM on the 20th to 8:00 PM on the 22nd. The most
snow on the ground was 13.3 inches on the evening of the
23rd. This was the first snow of the season and the only
snow of the month. Winds during the storm were from the
north at sustained speeds of 20 to 30 mph each day.
Temperatures during the storm were generally in the 20's.
20 in 1878... between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM wind speeds averaged
48 mph with a maximum 1 minute sustained velocity to 96
mph at both 3:27 PM and 3:48 PM in downtown Denver. This
is the highest sustained wind speed ever recorded in the
In 1986... a rare late October thunderstorm produced 3/4 inch
diameter hail at Centennial Airport. Hail piled up 2 1/2
inches deep... causing some street flooding in south Metro
20-21 in 2007... a storm system brought heavy snow to the southern
Denver suburbs as well as the Palmer Divide south of
Denver. Storm totals included: 7.5 inches near Castle
Rock... Lone Tree and Greenwood Village... with 6.5 inches at
Elizabeth. Snow drifts up to 2 feet deep were observed 6
miles south-southwest of Elizabeth. In the Denver
Stapleton area... 2.0 inches of snow was observed.
In 2009... heavy snow developed along the Palmer Divide
south and southeast of Denver as a storm system tracked
across southern Colorado and northern New Mexico.
Storm totals included: 15 inches... 15 miles north of
Elizabeth... 9 inches... 5 miles south-southwest of Arapahoe
park; 8 inches in Highlands Ranch... 5 miles south-
southeast of sedalia; 6.5 inches... 8 miles southwest of
Bennett and 6 inches in Parker. At Denver international...
only 1.5 inches of snowfall was observed.
20-22 in 1936... 5.5 inches of snow fell over downtown Denver.
Most of the snow... 4.5 inches... fell on the 20th.
- Alabama - Special Statement
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Maryland - Frost Advisory
- Massachusetts - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory
- New Jersey - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- New York - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Tennessee - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning