Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Morgan County
Statement as of 7:44 PM MDT on July 23, 2016
... Record high low temperature set at Denver co...
a record high low temperature of 70 degrees was set at Denver co
yesterday. This breaks the old record of 69 set in 2001.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on July 24, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
7-25 in 1934... a streak of 15 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 5th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
13-5 in 2008... a streak of 24 consecutive days of 90 degrees
shattered the previous record of 18 consecutive days
established in 1901 and 1874. Ironically... no new single
day record high temperatures were set in the month of July.
In August however... a record of 104 degrees was set on the
1st... and another record of 103 degrees was set on the 2nd.
In addition... a record low min of 70 degrees was set on
18-2 in 1987... a streak of 16 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 4th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
20-25 in 1965... heavy showers and thunderstorms doused Metro Denver
with significant rain each day. Rainfall for the six days
totaled 5.16 inches at Stapleton International Airport.
Massive rainfall occurred on the 20th... 21st... and 25th...
flooding streets and basements and causing streams to
overflow. The heaviest rainfall... 2.05 inches... at Stapleton
International Airport occurred on the 25th.
24 in 1896... heavy cloudbursts in the foothills west of Denver
caused flash flooding on Bear Creek... Clear Creek... Golden
Gate gulch... and Mount Vernon creek... resulting in a total of
27 deaths. The downpour dislodged large boulders... one of
which crushed a house. The heavy rain also caused a dam on
Cub Creek to wash out... adding even more water to the flood.
A wall of water as high as 10 feet flooded Evergreen and
passed down Bear Creek... washing away many structures along
the way. The flood crest produced 3 feet of water in
downtown Morrison during the early evening. Flash flooding
on Mount Vernon creek added to the flooding in Morrison.
In Golden... the flooding washed out bridges on Clear Creek
and on cresman and Tucker gulches and forced the closure of
the Power Plant. In Denver... a thunderstorm produced hail
of unknown size during the afternoon and rainfall of 1.23
In 1958... a thunderstorm wind gust to 52 mph was recorded at
In 1965... heavy rain caused flooding on Clear Creek and Tucker
Gulch in Golden and west Denver. Damage in Golden was
estimated at 80 thousand dollars. Heavy rain south of
Denver washed out temporary earthen bridges constructed
following the June floods in Castle Rock... Littleton...
Englewood... and Denver. Bear Creek in south Denver reached
flood stage. A cloudburst on Cub Creek in Evergreen washed
out bridges and roads. Heavy rain fell over all the Denver
and Aurora areas... causing some flooding of roads... streets...
and bridges. A man drowned in a flooded irrigation canal
near Hudson. Heavy rain caused flooding of streets and
roads in Blackhawk and Central City. Hail caused minor
damage in Idaho Springs.
In 1967... seven bridges were washed out along a normally Dry
Creek bed south of State Highway 7 west of Brighton. One
car was washed into the creek when a bridge gave way.
In 1970... hail stones to 1 1/4 inches in diameter fell in the
foothills of Jefferson County southwest of Denver.
In 1971... Golf Ball size hail was reported in foothill areas
of Jefferson County west of Denver. A funnel cloud was
sighted in Aurora. Wind gusts estimated at 60 mph... hail...
and heavy rain up to an inch in 15 minutes caused local
flooding and some other damage in several areas of Metro
Denver. Hailstones to 3/4 inch in diameter fell 7 miles
southeast of Denver.
In 1973... a thunderstorm wind gust to 52 mph was recorded
at Stapleton International Airport where one inch diameter
hail was measured.
In 1981... strong winds downed a power line in northeast Denver.
Wind gusts to 50 mph were recorded at Chatfield Reservoir.
In 1987... 3/4 inch diameter hail fell 5 miles northeast of
In 1996... hail... up to 1 3/4 inches in diameter... fell at
Chatfield Reservoir. Hail to 3/4 inch in diameter was
measured near Bennett.
In 2000... lightning struck near two golfers at Ute creek Golf
course near Longmont... knocking them to the ground. The
men received only minor injuries.
In 2001... lightning from a thunderstorm knocked out electrical
power to about 1500 residents in the city of Denver.
In 2004... a chilly day with fog and thunderstorms resulted in
two temperature records. The low temperature of 49 degrees
was a record minimum for the date. The high temperature of
only 58 degrees was a record low maximum for the date.
24-25 in 2003... maximum temperature of 100 degrees on the 24th was a
record high for the date. Low temperature of 73 degrees
on the 25th was a record high minimum for the date.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Florida - Areal Flood Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Excessive Heat Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Louisiana - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- New York - Excessive Heat Watch , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Ohio - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Pennsylvania - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Heat Advisory
- Texas - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Heat Advisory
- West Virginia - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement