Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Morgan County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on July 30, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
13-5 in 2008... a streak of 24 consecutive days of 90 degrees
shattered the previous record of 18 consecutive days
established in 1901 and 1874. Ironically... no new single
day record high temperatures were set in the month of July.
In August however... a record of 104 degrees was set on the
1st... and another record of 103 degrees was set on the 2nd.
In addition... a record low min of 70 degrees was set on
18-2 in 1987... a streak of 16 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 4th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
27-31 in 1956... 96 percent of the total precipitation for the month
of July occurred over the last five days of the month.
Heavy thunderstorms produced 4.00 inches of rainfall at
Stapleton Airport. This amount of precipitation in 5 days
or less had been exceeded only 3 times in previous record.
The last time had been in December of 1913 as snow.
Considerable property damage occurred across Metro Denver
28-30 in 1889... dense smoke from Forest fires in the mountains
obscured the sun over the city for three days.
In 1971... a vigorous cold front late on the 28th produced
northeast wind gusts to 39 mph and record breaking cold
temperatures on the 29th and 30th. The temperature dipped
to 47 degrees on the 29th and 43 degrees on the 30th...
setting record minimums for the dates. Upslope cloudiness
along with rain and fog early on the 29th helped set a
record low maximum temperature of 58 degrees for the date.
29-30 in 1997... heavy rain caused flooding and flash flooding in
central portions of Adams and Arapahoe counties. Two
homes were extensively damaged when water flooded the
basements and adjacent pasture area in Strasburg. Water
4 to 5 feet deep had pooled in the lower lying areas of
the town. A portion of Quincy Road was closed in Arapahoe
County when 4 feet of water covered the roadway.
Rainfall totaled 3.06 inches at Denver International
Airport... establishing a new record for 24-hour rainfall
in July. The previous record was 2.42 inches set in 1965
on the 24th and 25th.
30 in 1879... lightning struck a brick Kiln in north Denver.
Three men were knocked senseless... but all recovered.
Rainfall in the city was only 0.09 inch.
In 1881... a thunderstorm dumped heavy rain and hail on the
city... causing street flooding and much damage. A heavy
torrent of rain fell with 1.10 inches measured in just
20 minutes. Storm total rainfall was 1.60 inches. The
rain turned streets into running streams. Wood street
crossings were torn up and washed away. The storm caused
great damage by flooding many cellars where goods were
stored. The brick yards suffered severe damage when
the heavy rainfall destroyed many unfired bricks.
In 1913... northeast winds were sustained to 41 mph with gusts
to 48 mph.
In 1939... a thunderstorm produced 0.08 inch of rainfall. This
was the only measurable precipitation of the month... making
the month the second driest July on record.
In 1961... heavy rain and lightning disrupted power lines and
caused flooding in Denver. Thunderstorm rains totaled 1.60
inches at 11th and Lincoln in central Denver.
In 1972... the temperature climbed to a high of 100 degrees at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1983... hail 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter fell in central and
southeast Denver and in Littleton. Rainfall of 1.50 inches
occurred in just 30 minutes in Littleton. There was some
street flooding in both cities with wind gusts up to 55
In 1984... central Aurora was hit by a downpour that produced
1.80 inches of rain and sent water 2 to 3 feet deep into
some streets. Before the rain stopped later in the evening...
the storm had dropped as much as 2.80 inches of moisture on
the city. Thunderstorm rainfall totaled only 0.82 inch at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1985... a tornado was spotted in open country 10 miles
southwest of Bennett. No damage was reported. One inch
hail was reported in South Lakewood.
In 1997... one man was killed and his girlfriend critically
injured when they were struck by lightning on the Kennedy
Golf course in southeast Denver. Both were struck in the
head when they took Refuge under a tree during a downpour.
Lightning struck a home in unincorporated Arapahoe County
east of Buckley field. The fire started in the electrical
panel boxes... causing extensive damage to the home. Heavy
rain and hail triggered a flash flood in Boulder... which
sent water through a window of the financial aid office
on the University of Colorado Campus. In addition... ceiling
tiles... carpets... and dressing rooms were damaged at the coors
events center when a pipe draining rainwater broke during
the downpour. In all... 10 buildings on the Campus received
water damage estimated at 100 thousand dollars. Hail as
large as 1.25 inches in diameter accompanied the heavy
rain in Boulder. Thunderstorm rainfall totaled 2.71 inches
at Denver International Airport where west winds gusted
to 41 mph. This was the greatest calendar day official
precipitation ever recorded in July.
In 1998... heavy rain... up to 3 inches in an hour... caused flash
flooding problems from Castle Rock to Parker. I-25 north
of Castle Rock was closed as high waters covered sections
of the Highway. Some cars were left floating in the flood
In 2001... a severe thunderstorm produced a wind gust to 70
mph at a wind sensor on the northeast corner of Denver
In 2004... a severe thunderstorm produced wind gusts to 71 mph
In 2005... the temperature climbed to a high of 101 degrees
at Denver International Airport. This was a new record
maximum temperature for the date. In addition... this was
the 7th day of the month with a high temperature of 100
degrees or more... which set a new Denver record for the most
100 degree days in a month... for a season... and in a year.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Excessive Heat Warning
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Kansas - Record Report
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Maine - Record Report
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Massachusetts - Air Quality Alert
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Record Report
- New Jersey - Excessive Heat Warning
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Heat Advisory
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Excessive Heat Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - Air Quality Alert
- Tennessee - Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report
- - Small Craft Advisory
- - Small Craft Advisory