Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet/West Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on June 29, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
29 in 1874... eight different fires in mountain forests were
visible from the city. All of the fires were extensive...
and the volume of smoke from each was immense. Three of
these fires had been burning from the 18th with varied
In 1911... an apparent dry microburst produced sustained winds
to 45 mph.
In 1960... a strong gust of wind blew a small foreign Sedan off
the Highway near Brighton... injuring the driver. East winds
gusted to 40 mph at Stapleton Airport.
In 1961... thunderstorm winds estimated as high as 40 to 50 mph
occurred over southeast Denver. No significant damage was
In 1962... heavy rain and small hail caused some flooding in
In 1995... upslope cloudiness with rain and fog cooled
temperatures to record levels. Low temperature of 47
degrees equaled the record for the date. High temperature
of only 54 degrees set a new record low maximum for the
date. Rainfall totaled 0.90 inch at Denver International
Airport and 0.41 inch at the site of the former Stapleton
In 2003... a severe thunderstorm in Parker produced hail to
1 inch in diameter.
In 2011... two airmen from the Colorado National guard
suffered minor injuries when they were struck by lightning.
They were hit while on duty at a flight line at Buckley
Air Force base. At Denver International Airport... a
microburst produced a peak wind gust to 72 mph.
29-2 in 1990... almost a year to date after the record breaking heat
in early July 1989... the third longest heat wave in Denver
history started. From June 29th through July 2nd the
temperature reached 100 degrees or more on four consecutive
days. The highest reading of 102 degrees occurred on the
29th... 30th... and 1st. Combined with the 102 degree reading
on June 27th this would have been the longest heat wave on
record... but the temperature climbed to only 98 degrees on
29-15 in 2000... the 29th marked the beginning of a near record hot
streak for Metro Denver. The high temperatures... as recorded
at Denver International Airport... exceeded the 90 degree mark
for 17 consecutive days from June 29th through July 15th.
The record of 24 consecutive 90 degree or above days was
set from July 13th through August 5th... 2008.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- California - Heat Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Air Quality Alert
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning
- New York - Air Quality Alert
- North Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Air Quality Alert
- South Carolina - Dense Fog Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report