Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jefferson and West Douglas Counties Above 6000 Feet/Gilpin/Clear Creek/Northeast Park Counties Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on November 29, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
25-29 in 1985... dense fog with visibilities as low as 1/8 mile
occurred on five consecutive days at Stapleton International
Airport. The fog was at times accompanied by light snow...
light freezing drizzle... or ice crystals. Fog occurred all
day on both the 26th and 29th.
28-29 in 1908... heavy snowfall overnight and for most of the day
on the 29th totaled 12.5 inches. Precipitation was
1.09 inches. Northwest winds were sustained to 26 mph
on the 29th.
In 1928... a major storm dumped 15.5 inches of snowfall on
downtown Denver. North winds were sustained to 18 mph
with gusts to 19 mph on the 28th.
In 1992... an upper level storm system moved across Metro
Denver... but left only a dusting of snow. Snowfall totaled
only 1.6 inches at Stapleton International Airport where
north winds gusted to 25 mph. Other snow amounts included:
8 inches at Conifer... 6 inches at Lake Eldora... 3 inches at
Rollinsville and in southeast Denver.
In 1997... a storm system tracking across northern New Mexico
produced strong north to northeast upslope flow against
the eastern slopes of the Front Range and Palmer Ridge.
Snowfall totals in Jefferson County included: 14 inches
near deckers; 12 inches at Castle Rock and sedalia; 10
inches near Conifer... 11 miles southwest of Morrison... and
at Buffalo Creek. Elsewhere... snow accumulations were less.
Snowfall totaled only 0.7 inch at the site of the former
Stapleton International Airport on the 27th and 28th.
In 2004... heavy snow fell in the foothills and across Metro
Denver. In the foothills... snowfall totals included: 13
inches at Roxborough State Park and Eldorado Springs...
11.5 inches near Conifer... 11.0 inches near Nederland... and
10 inches near Indian HIlls. Across Metro Denver snowfall
totaled 14 inches near Sedalia... 9 inches near Louisville...
8 inches at Ralston Reservoir... and 5.1 inches in the
Stapleton area of Denver. Northeast winds gusted to 28
mph at Denver International Airport on the 28th.
In 2006... a slow moving storm system brough heavy snow to
the mountains and to the eastern foothills where snowfall
ranged from 8 to 18 inches. Some of the more impressive
snow totals included: 18 inches at Genesee... 17.5 inches
near Boulder... 17 inches at Aspen Springs... 16.5 inches 10
miles northwest of Golden... 15 inches at Eldorado Springs...
14.5 inches in Idaho Springs and near Jamestown... 12 inches
in Grant and near Indian HIlls... 11.5 inches near Blackhawk...
11 inches at Gross Reservoir and Eldora... and 10.5 inches
in Conifer. Across Metro Denver... storm total snowfall
generally ranged from 5 to 9 inches with the heaviest
amounts near the foothills in Boulder and Jefferson
counties. The most impressive totals included: 15.5
inches at ken caryl... 12 inches in Boulder... 7.5 inches near
Morrison... and 7 inches near both Chatfield and Ralston
reservoirs. Snowfall totaled only 4.2 inches in the Denver
Stapleton area. Northeast winds gusted to 31 mph at Denver
International Airport on the 28th.
28-30 in 1991... a winter storm dumped heavy snow in the foothills
and near the Palmer Divide with 10 inches recorded at
Conifer and Golden Gate Canyon... 12 inches in Morrison...
6 inches at Castle Rock and Parker. Only 3.4 inches of
snow fell at Stapleton International Airport where north
winds gusting to 35 mph on the 29th... produced some blowing
snow. Some light freezing drizzle also fell on the 28th
29 in 1877... the all-time lowest recorded minimum temperature
in the month of November... 18 degrees below zero... occurred.
The high temperature for the day was 16 degrees.
In 1899... northwest winds were sustained to 51 mph with gusts
as high as 60 mph. The Chinook winds warmed the temperature
to a maximum of 74 degrees... a record high for the date and
the warmest of the month that year. The minimum temperature
was only 39 degrees.
In 1927... Post-frontal rain changed to snow and totaled
5.8 inches over downtown Denver. Northeast winds were
sustained to 22 mph.
In 1977... 85 mph winds were reported at Wondervu in the
foothills southwest of Boulder. Northwest winds gusted
to 39 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1980 strong Chinook winds reached 85 mph in Boulder...
blowing traffic signals and street lights down. Some
windows were shattered by the wind. West winds gusted
to 37 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1994... high winds blew across the Front Range eastern
foothills. Wind gusts to 92 mph occurred atop Squaw
Mountain... 5 miles south of Idaho Springs... and to 82 mph on
Fritz Peak near Rollinsville in the foothills southwest
of Boulder. A wind gust to 75 mph was recorded at
Jefferson County Airport near Broomfield. Northwest winds
gusted to only 35 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
No damage was reported.
29-30 in 2008... a storm system produced locally heavy bands of snow
across Douglas... Elbert and eastern Jefferson counties.
Northerly winds gusting to 50 mph caused snow drifts
to pile up to 2 feet in depth. Storm totals included: 12
inches just southwest of Kassler... 11.5 inches... 6.5 miles
southwest of Castle rock; 11 inches... 8.4 miles southeast of
Aurora and 9 miles west of littleton; 10 inches at Louviers...
8 inches... 2 miles west-southwest of Highlands Ranch and 5
miles south-southeast of Sedalia... and 7.5 inches... 14 miles
west-southwest of Agate and at Castle pines. At Denver
International Airport... 2 inches of snow was observed.
North winds gusted to 46 mph on the 30th.
- Alabama - Dense Fog Advisory
- Alaska - Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Freeze Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch, Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement, Special Statement , Special Statement , Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Hard Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Ice Storm Warning , Winter Weather Statement , Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement, Special Statement , Special Statement
- Maryland - Record Report
- Minnesota - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Freezing Rain Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Record Report
- New Mexico - Freezing Fog Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Freezing Fog Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - Freeze Warning, Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Freezing Fog Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report