Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, South and East Jackson/Larimer/North and Northeast Grand/Northwest Boulder Counties Above 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on April 25, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
23-25 in 1935... heavy wet snow fell across Metro Denver. The storm
started as rain on the 23rd and changed to snow early on the
morning of the 24th. There was continuous precipitation for
a period of 48 hours. Snowfall totaled 19.0 inches over the
city and 20.0 inches at Denver Municipal Airport. However...
due to warm temperatures in the 30's... much of the snow
melted as it fell and did not seriously disrupt traffic.
The greatest snow accumulation on the ground downtown was
12 inches... but it quickly melted. The highest sustained
wind speed recorded during the storm was 28 mph from the
north on the 23rd. The storm contained 3.16 inches of
24-25 in 1890... rain changed to snow and totaled 7.0 inches in
In 1931... heavy snowfall totaled 9.3 inches over downtown
Denver. Winds were light during the storm.
In 1996... the second wind storm in less than a week developed
east of the Continental Divide and spread over Metro
Denver. High winds gusted from 60 to 90 mph. Several
power lines and poles were downed. Some of the stronger
wind gusts included: 91 mph atop Squaw Mountain west of
Denver... 90 mph atop Table Mesa near Boulder... 85 mph in
Golden Gate Canyon... and 82 mph at Wondervu. Northwest
winds gusted to 41 mph at Denver International Airport
on the 25th.
24-26 in 1924... Post-frontal rain changed to snow... which became
heavy and totaled 10.2 inches over downtown Denver. The
greatest amount of snow on the ground was 6.0 inches on the
25th due to melting. North winds were sustained to 38 mph
with gusts to 42 mph on the 24th.
25 in 1902... northeast winds were sustained to 42 mph with gusts
to 48 mph.
In 1908... north winds were sustained to 40 mph behind an
apparent cold front. Snowfall was 0.5 inch.
In 1928... rain changed to snow... which became heavy and totaled
7.4 inches in downtown Denver. Due to melting... the maximum
snow depth on the ground was 4.0 inches at 6:00 PM. This
was the last snow of the season. Southeast winds were
sustained to 19 mph with gusts to 20 mph.
In 1976... a south wind gust to 54 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport. The high winds toppled a
70-foot high Cottonwood tree onto the rear of house and a
neighboring residence in central Denver.
In 1989... lightning caused heavy damage to a radio transmitter
in Parker... knocking a Denver area radio station off the air
for 3 hours.
In 1994... weather spotters reported dime-size hail at the
intersection of U.S. Highway 287 and c470 in Jefferson
County. Marble-size hail covered the ground near Golden
to a depth of 1 inch. Pea-size hail was reported covering
the ground to a depth of 3 inches in Arvada.
25-26 in 1985... a Spring storm brought much rain and snow to Metro
Denver. The foothills were buried with 15 inches of snow
at Conifer and 12 inches at Evergreen. At lower elevations...
an inch or more of rain fell in Denver and Boulder. The
heavy precipitation caused brief power outages in the
Denver area. Precipitation totaled 1.06 inches at Stapleton
International Airport... including only 0.7 inch of snowfall.
25-27 in 1877... snow ended around 7:00 am on the morning of the 27th...
after falling continuously for 48 hours and totaling an
estimated 13 inches in the city. The storm... likely
accompanied by strong winds... caused trains to be delayed
for 2 to 3 days. One or two roofs of small buildings were
crushed by the weight of the snow... and many tree branches
were broken in the city. There were a number of reports of
livestock losses. One Stockman lost 17 horses and several
cattle from the snow and cold. Precipitation totaled
1.30 inches from the storm.
- Alabama - Tornado Warning , Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning
- Alaska - Fire Weather Warning
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- California - High Wind Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Frost Advisory
- Florida - Tornado Warning , Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Michigan - Record Report
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Jersey - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Freeze Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oklahoma - Lake Wind Advisory
- Oregon - Special Statement
- Pennsylvania - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Record Report
- Rhode Island - Freeze Warning
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- - Tornado Watch