Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Jackson County Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on May 26, 2017
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
20-27 in 2002... lightning sparked a wildfire near Deckers. Extremely
dry conditions and very strong winds the following day
allowed the fire... known as the Schoonover... to consume 3850
acres before it could be contained. Thirteen structures
were destroyed... including 4 homes... resulting in 2.2 million
dollars in damage.
24-26 in 1996... a late Spring snowstorm dumped 4 to 10 inches of
snow over the Front Range foothills. Conifer picked up
10 inches of new snow; Aspen Springs... 9 inches; and
Central City... 8 inches. The sticky... heavy snow clung to
power lines and pulled tree branches down... causing power
outages to about 1200 homes in the Conifer area. It took
up to 6 hours to restore power to some residences.
Lightning struck a telephone data Cabinet in Conifer on
the 25th... which knocked out phone service to about 1500
customers. Widespread rain fell across Metro Denver...
where rainfall totaled 2.07 inches at the site of the
former Stapleton International Airport and 1.66 inches at
Denver International Airport where north winds gusted to
24 mph on the 26th.
In 2010... high winds preceding a cold front... swept across
the Front Range foothills and urban corridor. In Aurora...
the wind damaged the roof of rangeview High School. In
Conifer and Denver... the wind downed trees and power
lines and caused several brief outages. The downed
power lines also caused several cars to catch fire in
the vicinity of 1590 Cook St. In Denver. Peak wind gusts
included: 82 mph at Highlands Ranch... 67 mph... 4 miles
east of Franktown and longmont; 65 mph in Boulder... 64 mph
in centenniel and Denver International Airport... 62 mph
near Parker and 60 mph in Arvada.
25-26 in 1950... a major storm dumped 10.0 inches of snowfall
downtown and 10.7 inches at Stapleton Airport where
northwest winds gusted to 30 mph on the 25th. The storm
caused extensive damage to utility wires and trees which
were in full Leaf. A daily record minimum temperature of
31 degrees occurred on the 25th. This was the coldest
temperature on this date in 79 years and for so late in the
In 1989... a late season snow storm dropped snow as low as 6
thousand feet along the Front Range. Most places in the
foothills had 2 to 5 inches of snow. Overnight rainfall
totaled 0.33 inch at Stapleton International Airport where
north winds gusted to 37 mph on the 25th.
In 1994... lightning struck a television transmitter on Lookout
Mountain near Golden and burned out a switcher... which
disrupted cable service for 2 hours.
26 in 1897... apparent Post-frontal north winds were sustained to
42 mph with gusts as high as 48 mph.
In 1942... the all-time highest recorded temperature in may... 95
In 1978... two children were struck and killed by lightning on
a Junior High School playground in Parker.
In 1987... 1 inch diameter hail fell near Boulder and
Bennett. The hail was fairly soft and caused no damage.
In 1993... dry thunderstorms produced wind gusts to 81 mph at
Jefferson County Airport near Broomfield. Several trees
were blown down by the strong winds. Microburst winds
gusted to 51 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1995... a woman was injured in Littleton when the car she
had just entered was struck by lightning. All of the
windows in the car were blown out by the strike. A funnel
cloud was sighted near Littleton.
In 2000... a strong microburst wind gust to 92 mph flipped a
small airplane on its back and blew a DC-3 loose from its
moorings... which allowed it to roll onto a grassy field at
Front Range Airport near Watkins.
In 2010... severe thunderstorms pounded parts of the urban
corridor with very large hail... heavy rain... damaging winds
and a tornado. The hail... ranging in size from 1 inch to
2 3/4 inches in diameter... struck Brighton... Commerce City
and northeast Denver the hardest. The storms continued to
spread destruction to the north and east... impacting
Byers... Hudson... Deer Trail and Prospect Valley. The
combination of hail and wind stripped the bark and
branches from trees. Numerous accidents were reported
as the hail accumulated up to a foot deep. Snowplows
were called out to clear the roadways. Flash flooding
occurred along State Highway 52 between Hudson and
Keenesburg... and forcing the closure of the Highway.
Widespread crop damage was also reported as the area
was inundated with up to 18 inches of water. Extensive
damage to homes... businesses and automobiles was
reported with the damage estimated to be around 70
million dollars. A tornado touched down near Denver
International Airport... but did no damage. Lightning
struck a child in Commerce City while she was watching
television. She suffered minor injuries to her leg.
At the Rocky Mountain Arsenal wildlife Refuge... a
lightning strike killed a Bison. At Denver International
Airport... only 0.01 inch of rainfall was observed... along
with a peak wind gust to 48 mph from the southeast.
26-31 in 1995... a cool period with light morning showers and
moderate to heavy afternoon showers and thunderstorms
pushed rivers already swollen from mountain snow melt
over their banks causing minor flooding. Streams and
rivers such as the South Platte and Boulder Creek flooded
Meadowlands... bike paths... roads near streams... and other
low lying areas. No significant property damage was
reported and crop damage was unknown. Rainfall totaled
1.79 inches at the site of the former Stapleton
International Airport and only 1.51 inches at Denver
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- California - Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Record Report
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Special Statement
- Idaho - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Nevada - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- New Jersey - Coastal Flood Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Warning
- New York - Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Oklahoma - Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Puerto Rico -
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Washington - Flood Warning
- West Virginia - Wind Advisory
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement